Whether you’re an adult or an adolescent, crooked teeth can hamper your social status. Crowded or misaligned teeth make you want to hide your smile in public. In years past, your only option for teeth straightening was metal braces, and many people, including adults, opted for them just so they could fix their smile. Those days are long gone, and orthodontic treatment has come a long way since then.
Enter Invisalign. This dental device allows you to straighten teeth without braces at all. It works invisibly so you can be doing your teeth straightening, and no one else has to know. It’s not a miracle cure since it still takes commitment and time to work, but it does work. Come to the Precision Dental NYC in Astoria, NY, for an evaluation with our dentists Alexander Bokser, DDS, and Irene Bokser, DDS.
Different, and Better, Than Other Options
Invisalign aligning trays move your teeth into position in a different way than braces. Traditional braces use brackets and wires to pull your teeth into alignment. Metal braces still work because they’re strong enough to withstand the tremendous pressure needed to move your teeth. Even clear braces work the same way.
But aligner trays fit over your teeth, pushing them into position a little bit at a time. You wear each tray for about two weeks. Then you pop in a new one that moves your teeth a little more. You may feel a little Invisalign pain every time you put in a new tray, but it’s certainly no worse than wearing braces.
Comparing Invisalign Aligners with Braces
And the Invisalign method compares well to braces:
- Clear aligner trays are much more invisible than braces, even clear braces.
- Braces, with their brackets and wires, cause irritation on your lips and inner cheeks. Invisalign doesn’t cause any of that.
- Because you can remove the tray to brush and floss, caring for your teeth is much easier than it is if you’re wearing braces because you have to clean around all those brackets.
- The aligner trays themselves are easier to clean than braces. You can actually take them out to clean.
- Invisalign has no moving parts. The brackets and wires of braces can break, cutting your lip.
- With Invisalign, you can eat and drink whatever you like since you take out your tray before a meal.
- The pressure braces put on your teeth can cause headaches and jaw pain.
- Because you get several trays at once, you don’t have to return to your Invisalign dentist in Astoria, NY, as often as you would if you wore braces. Problems with the trays are less likely than problems with braces hardware.
- Finally, braces can cause something called root resorption, which is when your teeth get pulled up out of your gums a bit by braces. This action shortens the actual roots of your teeth, weakening them.
- In some cases, Invisalign works faster than even metal braces. Check with your Invisalign dentist to see how long your treatment may last.
When Should You Consider Invisalign Clear Aligners?
Clear aligners treat a range of teeth straightening issues, ranging from minor tooth movements to more complex cases. Whatever the issue, the result is a new, more even smile that you will want everyone to see.
Here are some of the straightening issues that can be treated with Invisalign:
- Overcrowded teeth occur when there is a lack of room within your jaw for all of your teeth to fit normally.
- Widely spaced teeth occur when you have extra space within your jaw.
- Crossbites occur when the upper and lower jaws are both misaligned. It usually causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth and can happen on both the front and/or the sides of the mouth.
- Deep bites occur when the upper teeth overlap significantly with the lower teeth.
- Underbites occur when the lower teeth protrude past the front teeth, usually caused by undergrowth of the upper jaw, overgrowth of the lower jaw, or both.
Why Teen Invisalign Wearers Like the Trays?
Teen Invisalign wearers are under the same stipulations as adults: they have to wear the aligner trays for 20 to 22 hours a day, every day. That’s the biggest obstacle for adolescents, but if they can manage that responsibility, the system works just as effectively as metal braces.
Like adults, teens don’t want to be noticed wearing braces. But they do want straighter teeth. With clear aligners for teens, they get the best of both worlds: invisible but effective treatment. Since their smile isn’t affected, their social standing isn’t either. That may provide enough self-esteem for a confidence boost.
Does Your Insurance Cover Invisalign?
Unlike some purely cosmetic dental procedures, your insurance company may cover at least part of your Invisalign cost. Fixing crooked teeth can be a dental health issue, depending on the severity. You need to ask our best-rated Astoria dentists about your specific Invisalign cost.
Normally, your Invisalign cost is the same as it would be for metal braces. But whenever possible, the team at Precision Dental NYC tries to offer affordable dentistry treatments for you. Between offering payment plans and dealing with your insurance company for you, there’s always a way forward. Some factors to consider that also affect the price are:
- How many trays do you need to reach your alignment goals?
- How long will you have to wear Invisalign trays?
- Will you need to wear a retainer after your teeth have aligned?
- How many times during your treatment will you have to visit your Invisalign dentist?
If you’re ready to proceed with the discreet teeth straightening process, contact your dentist in Astoria, NY. Only an Invisalign dentist can determine whether you’re a good candidate for the aligner trays and what your Invisalign cost will be.